Take Steps to Improve Your Safety
Brought to you by the law firm of Murray Guari Trial Attorneys
Safety is a Shared Responsibility
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 5,000 pedestrians die each year in motor vehicle accidents, and more than 78,000 pedestrians suffer injury when hit by a car or truck. Locally, between 2008 and 2011, 111 pedestrians were killed in Palm Beach County and 180 pedestrians were killed in Broward County.
Walking Safety Tips:
- Always walk in crosswalks. If a crosswalk is not available, always walk facing on-coming traffic.
- Follow the rules of the road and obey signs and traffic signals.
- Only cross streets at designated crosswalks.
- Watch for traffic as vehicles often fail to yield the right-of-way to pedestrians.
- Always look both ways before crossing the street.
- Never J-Walk.
- Pay attention to turn signals before crossing the street.
- Wear bright or reflective clothing and carry a flashlight at night.
- Do not drink alcohol or do drugs while walking or crossing a street.
- Do not walk distracted – do not text or talk on the phone while walking.
- Hold children’s hands when crossing the road.
- Walk in well-lit areas for your safety.
- Watch for drivers backing out of parking spaces and driveways.
- Watch for poorly maintained walkways or debris on walkways.
- Beware of construction zones or work zones.
- Never assume a driver see you. Try to make contact with a driver as they approach.
1525 N. FLAGLER DRIVE, SUITE 100
WEST PALM BEACH, FLORIDA 33401
TELEPHONE (561) 366-9099
FACSIMILE (561) 366-9098