Pedestrian Accident Attorneys, Hit & Run Law Firm
West Palm Beach, Palm Beach Gardens, Palm Beach County
The personal injury attorneys at the West Palm Beach law firm of Murray Guari Trial Attorneys have been achieving exceptional results for Florida pedestrian accident victims for more than 20 years.
Millions of Americans walk to school, to work, to the store, or around the neighborhood for exercise. Pedestrians have the same right to use the road as cars and trucks. Pedestrians and motorists also have a responsibility to follow the law and practice safe behaviors. Often confusion and inattention are the two main reasons that accidents take place.
Pedestrian injuries and fatalities occur quite frequently in the United States with recent statistics showing that one pedestrian is killed in a traffic accident every 85 minutes. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 5,000 pedestrians die each year in motor vehicle accidents, and more than 78,000 pedestrians suffer injury when hit by a car or truck. Even more awful is the fact that most accidents occur between 3pm and 4pm when children are typically returning from school.
Florida ranks among the top three deadliest states for pedestrian fatalities per capita. Locally in Palm Beach County, between 2013-2017, 190 pedestrians were killed. The majority of deaths happed in unincorporated Palm Beach County, West Palm Beach, Boynton Beach, Belle Glade, Lantana and Riviera Beach.
Driver negligence includes:
- An inattentive, distracted or preoccupied driver.
- A driver's failure to observe posted speed limits.
- A driver's failure to yield the right of way to pedestrians at marked cross walks.
- A driver negligently turning at an intersection.
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
In addition to motor vehicle accidents, some of the other causes of pedestrian accidents include: poor property maintenance, sidewalk or parking lot defects, construction or other debris on walkways, signage or other items that hinder the view of either the driver or pedestrian. Any of these things can cause or contribute to an accident.
Injuries can include cuts, scrapes, broken bones, brain injuries, back and neck injuries and sadly, the result is sometimes death.
Here are some pedestrian tips to keep you safe:
- Always look both ways when crossing a street
- Pay attention to the turn signals before crossing a street
- Never J-walk
- Make eye contact with the operator of an automobile before walking in front of it
- Do not drink alcohol while walking or crossing a street
- Walk on the left side of the street when there is no sidewalk
- Remove distractions, put your cell phone / smart phone away
If you or a loved one has been involved in a pedestrian accident and would like to learn more about your legal rights, please contact us here.